MYTH #15: Management and leadership are different things
TRUTH: A great manager needs to be a natural leader
“Being a manager, doesn’t make you a leader”
THIS IS NOT TRUE
The best business leaders need great management skills, and the best managers need great leadership skills.
Although unfortunately there are plenty of business leaders who are terrible managers.
All managers need to be leaders as part of their role.
In fact, the best managers are natural leaders.
“Management is doing things right, leadership is doing the right things” Peter Drucker
There are natural leaders all over the place. You don’t have to have a job title to be a leader. Everyone can be a leader.
- The part-time office lady that takes charge of the social events
- The sales guy who leads from the front every time the chips are down
- The admin guy who always speaks up with ideas in every meeting
- The finance lady who seems to run the show when the boss is not around
TAKEAWAY: What are great leadership skills?
Look at the people above…
- What qualities do these people all show?
- Why do you think that makes them natural leaders?
It’s these qualities that make them a natural leader. What could you do more each week to be a natural leader?
The truth is that management and leadership are massively connected.
You need to act like a natural leader to be a great manager
“A person doing his or her best becomes a natural leader, just by example” Joe DiMaggio
Great management skills make better leaders, and great leadership skills make better managers!
Learn to become an awesome manager
Let’s have a chat…